Colas retains National Highways and Transport Network Awards title
The National Highways & Transport Survey Network results are in and we have continued our reign as Number 1 for the fourth year running for Regional, Unitary and All 111 authorities across the country for Highways Maintenance, Highways Enforcement/Obstructions & Managing roadworks.
Members of the public throughout the UK were asked via the annual survey to answer questions about how the management of their highways and byways is handled.
Colas are the sub-contractors in Portsmouth for the 25-year contract signed in 2004 to ensure the rehabilitation and subsequent maintenance of the highways are adhered to. This includes:
- Monthly inspections on defects including potholes, paving slabs and trip hazards
- Numbers completed: Carriageway potholes Jan – Nov 921
- Footway potholes Jan – Nov 620
- Combined footway and pothole Jan – Nov 1,541
- 950 tonnes of salt ready and waiting for the next icy period
- Street lighting with introductory LED’s
- Cleansing of roads on a daily cycle throughout the city
- 900 litter bins emptied daily – up to 4 times a day during busy periods.
- Bins are now dual purpose and in line with the target of combating dog fouling dog bins are emptied 3 times a week
- Fallen leaves swept and collected from Oct-Dec
- Gullies and drainage cleaned over a 2-year programme, which means that there has been a significant decrease in the number of flooding reports
- The interactive website www.colasportsmouth.co.uk means residents can see planned and existing works for their journey to work
- Over 95% of recycling of materials from works that have been carried out
Well done to everyone involved.