Certifications and Business Management Systems
At Colas, our management systems are central to driving our continual business improvement, innovation and excellence. Our business management systems are accredited and certified to a high level. We have also been recognised as reaching a degree of excellence by a variety of national and industry bodies.
Quality management - certified to ISO 9001:2015
- Our QMS complies with the requirements of various National Highways Sector Schemes, which are required for work with Highways England and some local authority contracts.
- Our new AIRSweb system helps us manage quality, environmental and safety incidents, including customer and resident feedback.
Collaborative working - certified to BS11000-1:2010
- It’s essential to create trust and effective collaboration between everyone involved on a project: our diverse suppliers, customers, partners and the community.
- To manage this, we have created a set of formal relationship management plans.
- We are currently transitioning our management system from the British Standard (BS11000) to the new International Standard (ISO 44001) in 2018.
Environmental Management System - certified to ISO 14001:2015
- We work hard to manage and reduce our environmental impact across all our business, from energy, to waste, to noise and biodiversity.
- Our primary tool to manage this is our Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Additionally, we aim to achieve ISO 50001 certification for our Energy Management System (EnMS).
Health and Safety - certified to BS OHSAS 18001:2007
- Safety is our priority at all times.
- Our occupational health and safety management system operates across all our locations.
- We intend to move to the new ISO 45001 standard in 2018.
- Our three-year plan “Together We Make It Zero” focuses on reducing incidents and improving the health and wellbeing of our people through new reporting and management software.
Colas is Recognised for Excellence 5 star
- This certification is based on an external assessment using the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) Excellence model
- In 2017 Colas retained its 5 star Recognised for Excellence (R4E) certificate for the fourth time - a result that demonstrates our commitment to continuous improvement and provides external validation of our achievements to our people, suppliers and customers.
Investors in People - Gold Standard
- Colas has an established HR brand ‘Our People’ which helps us deliver benefits, recognition and rewards in a unified way.
- Our engagement programmes encourage feedback and develop action plans in response.
- Colas also has achieved the IIP “Excellence in Leadership & Management” award.
Disability Confident – Committed
- The Disability Confident accreditation recognises the proactive steps we are taking at Colas to ensure that people with disabilities and long term health conditions feel supported, engaged and able to fulfil their potential.
- Additionally we are working with companies such as the SHAW trust to provide work experience and placement opportunities for people with disabilities.
CITB’s Be FaIR Accreditation Framework
- ITB’s Be FaIR accreditation framework recognises Colas’ commitment to diversity, fairness, inclusion and respect (FIR) throughout our business.
- The main objective of Be FaIR is to ensure all our workforce feel that they are valued, supported and encouraged to maximise enthusiasm and productivity, so gaining this accreditation is a fantastic achievement after 18 months of working towards it.
Colas’ Business Continuity - aligned to ISO 22301:2012
- Our crisis management and local business recovery initiatives are tested through desk-based exercises.
- We can evaluate how prepared each of our locations is to deal with any significant disruption, allowing us to take a risk-based approach to auditing and exercises.
Colas’ Building Information Modelling - certified to PAS1192-2:2013, BS 1192:2007 and BS 1192-4:2014
- Colas has the capability to work to Level 2 BIM processes in Design & Construction activities.
- Advantages include improved supply-chain collaboration, greater control of the full asset lifecycle & operation, and savings on wastage.