A43 Brackley, Northants
The contract for Highways England delivered a major resurfacing and repair road project on the A43 at Bakerley, Northants which included:
- Widening/resurfacing of carriageway and roundabout
- Refurbishment of signage, street lighting, street lighting and traffic signals
- Resurfacing pedestrian crossings and footpaths
- Colas end-to-end approach, cooperation with the client and between five Colas divisions
night-time roadworks delivery
- Despite months of planning, after closing the road, Colas discovered that A43 was in much worse condition than initially thought, requiring a binder layer and new surface and re-plan of the resources.
- The road at Brackley could not be closed during day-time as it was part of essential Midlands roads networks, linking with M40 and would have a major impact on the day traffic.
- Precise logistical planning before the night-time works commenced was essential due to the restricted access to materials or staff at night.
- Different aspects of this complex project required months of careful planning, in order to ensure everyone worked effectively and efficiently together.
- With the client’s agreement, Colas altered plans to create a more resilient, longer-lasting surface – along with all the street furniture and signage needed.
- Colas’s solution was to work at night – for some 120 nights – to not disrupt the busy daytime traffic. The scheme was completed in time for the Formula 1 British Grand Prix.
- Colas carefully timetabled street lighting, traffic signalling, widening of approach roads and crossings resulted in ensuring the smooth running of the night-works.
- Colas planned every aspect of the project carefully, working closely with the client, who shared our site office, and used resources and expertise from five Colas divisions.