Portsmouth Highways Management PFI Contract
An innovative and sustainable approach to highway maintenance. A contract delivered to Portsmouth City Council in partnership with Ensign Highways Limited.
Daily maintenance and full management of the highways network
Routine and winter maintenance and emergencies
Street lighting and illuminated street furniture services
Street cleansing on a daily cycle, surface drainage maintenance
Maintenance and management of structures
Licences management and co-ordination with utilities
squared meters of roads resurfaced
lamp columns replaced
Contract in detail
- Highways - monthly inspections are carried out resulting in over 100,000 defects including potholes, paving slabs and trip hazards being repaired to date.
- Street lighting - ongoing maintenance includes structural testing, lamp replacement and the introduction of new LED’s - making savings for the city.
- Street Cleansing - roads are cleaned on a daily cycle, with over 8,000 routes swept and cleaned each week.
- Gullies - there are in excess of 21,000 gullies/drains which are cleaned over a 2-year programme, as well as ad hoc blockages attendances.
- Customer complaints - the number of customer complaints have reduced significantly. Portsmouth ranked in the top 3 for services in the National Highway & Transport (NHT) Survey for 5 consecutive years.
- Recycling - the PFI contract contributes to the reuse and recycling of materials from works. Over 95% of the materials are recycled.
- www.colasportsmouth.co.uk - new website, allows residents to see where works are taking place, to report incidents and apply for licences.
- Work carried out in the first 5 years - 1,330,000m2 of roads resurfaced, 9,700 lamp columns replaced, works on 49 Structures carried out.