Location: Penryn, Cornwall
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
About the Role
The foremost job of the successful candidate is to ensure vehicle checks are completed before preparing the lorry for deliveries and load with relevant materials either under chutes or by a loading shovel and collect the paperwork before delivering the materials to site. Some deliveries entail reversing and tipping into a paving machine whilst others will include operating the chutes, emptying the asphalt into wheelbarrows to be hand laid. You will also:
- Clean the chutes and the body of the vehicle after every delivery
- After returning to the quarry in a timely manner, the vehicle must then be prepared and reloaded for the next delivery
- Other jobs will include washing the vehicle as well as helping out in the quarry by driving an articulated dump truck moving aggregate
- Deliver hot asphalt and quarried aggregates to our customers across the county
- Deliver materials efficiently and in a timely manner
- To act as a role model to other drivers by following site rules, procedures and regulations
- To operate vehicle and equipment in strict compliance with manufacturer’s instructions in a safe and considerate manner with due regard to the workplace and the environment
- To work in compliance with the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Quarries Regulations 1999, Workplace Health Safety and Welfare Regulations, Management of Health & Safety at Work, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations and all other relevant legislation, codes of practice and guidance
As well as a very competitive hourly rate, we are offering a host of other benefits, which include:
- Full time, 40 hour contract (Monday – Friday, some Saturdays) with lots of opportunity to earn 1.5 x rate for overtime
- 21 days holiday + bank holidays
- A competitive contribution pension scheme
- The chance to work with a highly skilled team and work for a well-established business
- Excellent training and career opportunities within the business
- Relevant HGV Class 2 licence
- No more than 3 points on your licence
- Delivery experience is essential
- Full CPC is essential
- Digi Tacho card is essential
- Previous HGV delivery driving essential
- Excellent knowledge of local area
- Previous tipper work with asphalt would be preferential but not essential
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.