Technical & Engineering Lead - Birmingham
Technical & Engineering Lead - UKP
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas UK Projects delivers major transport infrastructure solutions in the UK, Ireland and internationally. Our huge global expertise alongside the strength of our UK in-house specialist teams, local manufacturing and 96-year knowledge base and experience, brings a unique mix of local specialists and global resources to projects. Working with Colas will give you access to an unrivalled international community of research and development engineers and other world-class experts.
About the Role
Due to continued success, our UK Projects Division are recruiting for a Technical & Engineering who will be responsible for the management and coordination of the design process and tender planning process for all projects within the Colas UK Projects (UKP) business.
You will support the effective management of external design consultants to provide value engineering solutions and designs for major infrastructure projects in the UK and overseas. The role will require interface and close working with our bidding and operation teams throughout the project life cycle
- To effectively manage the Colas tender design process on for all opportunities to deliver sustainable solutions that exceed client outcomes.
- Provide engineering and technical input into tender submissions to ensure that the clients outcomes are met through innovative and compliant submissions
- Manage the tender planning process to ensure a seamless interface between design development, operational solutions whilst meeting client expectations within submissions
- Build long term collaborative relationships with key stakeholders, including clients, design partners, wider supply chain and the internal Colas teams
- Work as part of the Preconstruction team to produce high quality submissions that enhance the ability to win work in the UKP targeted sectors
- Provide ongoing support to operational delivery teams on secured projects to ensure a consistent high quality service to clients and the business
- Responsible for the design process during preconstruction and delivery stages of the project lifecycle. Ensuring that the process is implemented and followed on all UKP opportunities.
- Drafting design scope documents and deliverables to support contractual negotiations and commercial agreements with design partners.
- Production of effective and efficient delivery strategies for major projects, including the construction of complex earthworks, general civil engineering and highways structures
- Manage the design deliverables during the tender process. Challenge and review designs to ensure that they meet the company’s safety, operational and commercial objectives whilst responding to the employer’s requirements and works information in a compliant submission.
- Leading the value engineering and innovation within the design process for opportunities using engineering and technical expertise including commercial, contractual and programme/time awareness
- Collaborate with the commercial and operational team to generate designs that are cost effective whilst meeting the clients outcomes
- Contribute to the wider tender quality submission deliverables where requested
- Provide reports as required by the bid steering committees and the UKP management team.
- Line Management responsibility for members of the technical and engineering team.
- Responsible for the development of succession and business continuity plans for the UK Projects technical team.
- Liaise with other team members and all other stakeholders and develop best practice working.
- Take overall responsibility for Performance Indicators applicable to technical activities. Manage and monitor requirements and report monthly. Produce corrective action reports and implement their recommendations where required.
- To carry out other appropriate duties as assigned by the line manager.
- To ensure that all operations carried out within our area of responsibility are undertaken with full regard for the safety of visitors, other members of staff and yourself.
- Accountable for ethical behaviour in all aspects of the role.
- Ensure all activities are undertaken with due regard for the environment, to prevent pollution, comply with legal and corporate requirements and minimise environmental impact.
Applicants will have relevant professional qualifications, e.g. membership of professional body such as IMechE, IET and ICE and will have extensive operational experience in the delivery of major infrastructure projects.
You will also have:
- Commitment to Quality, Safety and Environment.
- Several years’ experience of managing and working in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver portfolios of projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Demonstrable experience of preparing high quality bids, reports, publications and presentations
- Ability to travel throughout the UK and to Europe may be required
- Ability to lead business opportunities, taking responsibility for client engagement and managing commercial aspects and a team
- Ability to develop strong relationships with client stakeholders by effective communication
- Temporary Works design experience desirable
- Further qualifications in design management or project management would be useful
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.