Site Engineer - Stoneleigh A46
Site Engineer – UK Projects, A46 Stoneleigh
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Our UK Projects team specialise in major road, airfield and marine build projects in excess of £100m in value. We work on large-scale projects all over the world such as our Hoima International Airport joint venture project in Uganda. With a big focus on developing this area of our business and some high profile recent wins, it’s a great time to join our UK Projects team.
About the Role
Colas are recruiting for a Site Engineer to join our UK major projects division.
The Site Engineer will ensure the safe and efficient delivery of all works with line management responsibility for labour assigned, including effective liaison with client representatives
- Setting out, levelling and surveying the site;
- Checking plans, drawings and quantities for accuracy of calculations;
- Ensuring that all materials used and work performed are as per specifications;
- Overseeing the selection and requisition of materials and plant;
- Making cost-effective solutions and proposals for the intended project;
- Overseeing quality control and health and safety matters on site;
- Resolving any unexpected technical difficulties and other problems that may arise
- Efficient deployment of company resource with a good understanding of output and project efficiencies, task identification and leadership
- Provide leadership and direction to individuals assigned to ensure the safe and efficient discharge of the works to specification and to a good standard of quality.
- Ensure Right First Time approach to all work. Zero defects.
- Ensure appropriate use of small plant / tools whilst holding suitable competency certificates
- Monitor plant / equipment efficiency avoiding unnecessary costs and damages
- Maintain professional approach positively reflecting the image of the company
- Ensure works are carried out in a safe manner adhering to site specific Risk Assessment & Method Statements
- Responsible for personnel welfare and adherence to CDM requirements
- Deliver / Attend inductions / tool box talks / all appropriate briefings
- Appropriate task PPE to be worn in suitable condition at all times
- Ensure all company procedures are understood, enforced and adhered
- Hold a flexible approach to working patterns and expectations to carry out other duties as deemed necessary to the business
- Continued development of experience in highway construction and maintenance
- Development of others which the business allowing company growth
- Effective time management between duties
- Completion of required paperwork in line with company requirements
- Undertake and review management safety observations
- Ensure that all other paperwork is delivered to the operational office within defined timescales
- Promote and encourage safety awareness in the business, including a zero tolerance attitude to unsafe practice.
- Attend training courses as and when relevant to ensure continued development
- Hold a good level of highways experience with a basic working knowledge of contracting conditions
- Ensure RAMS are available on site for review and all workforce are familiar with them.
- Liaise with the Colas entities and 3rd party Clients in the planning and delivery of Civils activities.
- Produce as built drawings and inspection & test plans
- Carry out a minimum of 24 Managing safety observations per calendar year.
- Ensure works must have an official instruction prior to undertaking. All such works must be subject to a measure.
- Undertake ad hoc checks to ensure all plant and transport is kept in a serviceable condition, clean and defect free.
- Undertake all other appropriate duties as assigned by your line manager
As well as a competitive salary, Colas offer an excellent benefits package, which includes:
- Competitive contribution pension scheme
- Car / car allowance
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Opportunity to study towards professional qualifications
- NI free childcare vouchers
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The Candidate will hold the relevant Construction qualifications and have experience working on Civil Engineering / Major Highways schemes.
You will also:
- Proficient with setting techniques and equipment
- Working knowledge of health and safety & HR procedures
- Previous experience of NEC & ICE contracting Standards
- NRSWA / SMSTS or equivalent accreditation
- Full clean driving license
- CSCS Card
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.