Site Engineer - Airfields
Working with the Construction Works Manager / Agent and Works Supervisor to ensure full compliance with all Quality procedures, Inspection and Test Plans and safe working practices whilst undertaking all works to the highest possible Health, Safety and Environmental standards.
This role is site based, Airfield projects may be undertaken anywhere within the UK or Globally in accordance with the Business Unit Strategy.
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
- Carry out engineering duties for each specified project, as directed by the Project Manager or his delegated manager.
- Be responsible for the establishment of the project grid and base line survey including verification of existing client survey data utilised at tender stage
- Be responsible for all setting out and survey activities undertaken on the project ensuring that all setting out and survey works are undertaken in accordance with best practice and the project specification and that accurate records are kept for all setting out and survey work undertaken
- Be responsible for verification of as-built dimensions and levels through the completion of post shift surveys of each shifts work at the earliest opportunity to ensure that any errors in the constructed works are identified and corrected to prevent carry through on to further areas of the project
- Provide verification surveys of subcontract works to confirm their compliance with the works information
- Development of Inspection and Test Plans in collaboration with the Project Manager and Technical Manager in advance of the works.
- Be responsible for the completion of all as-built survey works and the transfer of all as-built data on to As-built drawings or BIM Models as required by the Client.
- Plan every-day work activities in accordance with the company core values and maintain the highest standards of ethics and corporate compliance at all times.
- Always act in such a way as to further the company reputation and always give special consideration to the public image and standing of Colas.
- At all times, ensure that KPI’s relating to Engineering and Surveying activities are achieved, or plans put in place to resolve negative KPI performance issues
- Support and take an active part, where appropriate, in the company-wide drive to excellence through the EFQM initiative
- Maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards within Colas’ business sectors as they relate to this appointment.
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities in a manner that supports the Company Values, Beliefs, Vision and Mission.
- Demonstrate appropriate experience, training and qualifications for the post.
- Conduct all duties and responsibilities in a manner that appropriately and adequately supports business unit operating across the country.
- Carry out other related duties as and when required by your line manager
- Recognised University or College Degree / HND in Surveying or a related discipline
- CSCS card
- Demonstration of continuous professional development
- Ideally a Chartered Member of an Institution
The successful candidate is likely to be currently employed as a Surveyor or Site Engineer in a Civil Engineering or Airfield Division or Region and have experience of surveying / setting out and the management of these activities in the provision of transport infrastructure or civil engineering services. They will have a proven track record of survey work and HSEQ system implementation. Full Clean Driving Licence
In addition to the above experience the following skills would be advantageous
- Knowledge of the construction industry and its key processes including surveying
- Knowledge of BIM and CAD would be advantageous
- Previous experience in surveying and setting out of asphalt and / or concrete paving operations as well as civil engineering works
- All round technical understanding of the activities for which he/she is estimating, probably gained over several years’ experience
- Experience of managing junior engineers / surveyors within the project
- Demonstrable track record of success in survey delivery
- Strong commitment to, Business Improvement and HSEQ principles
- Understanding and awareness of good customer service principles and practice.
- Able to identify and implement effective Survey and Engineering management processes.
Personal Attributes / Skills:
Motivated, flexible and self-reliant.
Experience of managing surveying / engineering works on site.
Ability to use IT equipment, BIM / CAD (Beneficial)
Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Good organisational skills / ability to work to tight deadlines.
Ability to work as part of a team and use own initiative.
Committed to continuous improvement and Innovation
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.