Senior Software Developer
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
We have a brand new role available within our IT team at our head office in Portsmouth. This is a really exciting opportunity as this is a newly created role as Colas bring their software solutions in-house for the first time. As a senior developer in the team, you will lead projects for the development of internal and external software solutions, primarily focussing on our bespoke mobile workforce management system, guiding and mentoring a dynamic team.
About the Role
In this role you will be a senior developer, responsible for overseeing a small, dynamic team and will be developing our internal systems to ensure our workforce can work more effectively and efficiently. As part of the role you will:
- Participate in the conception and feature planning of new software as well as the extension of existing software
- Design and implement new user-facing features for existing web applications
- Build and maintain the libraries and frameworks to support complex web applications
- Create fast, easy to use, and robust client side code for web applications
- Optimize web applications to maximize reliability and speed
- Define product scopes and build product roadmaps that meet go-live goals
- Manage the design and development processes of mobile applications with strong web-based backend using Java (Android), Swift (iOS) and .NET technology
- Prepare estimates of the labour hours and calendar time required to analyse and develop proposed changes to software
- Evaluate existing tools/technologies and make appropriate recommendations for projects
- Develop and adhere to coding standards
- Work with other mobile application developers to create new and enhance existing features on native Android mobile platforms
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- 25 days annual leave per annum + bank holidays with the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification
- NI free childcare vouchers
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
You will be an experienced software developer with a high level of accuracy and problem solving skills who is up to date with the latest tech trends and able to generate ideas to ensure our software is market leading. You will also:
- Have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Have previous experience in project management and team leadership and experience working with SCRUM or similar methodologies
- Demonstrate expert level knowledge of PHP and PostgreSQL database design and query building
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience working with version control systems such as Git or SVN, preferably Git
- Experience in building custom user interface components
- Experience working with Android frameworks such as the Support Library and UI components
- Experience with PostGIS and a deep knowledge of .NET (C#) - desirable but not essential
- Experience in mobile and web development (Java Android)
- Experience with large scale SQL databases and database administration
- Knowledge of data serialization formats
Closing Date: 19th July 2019
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.