Section Engineer - Nationwide
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas UK Projects delivers major transport infrastructure solutions in the UK, Ireland and internationally. Our huge global expertise alongside the strength of our UK in-house specialist teams, local manufacturing and 96-year knowledge base and experience, brings a unique mix of local specialists and global resources to projects. Working with Colas will give you access to an unrivalled international community of research and development engineers and other world-class experts.
About the Role
We are currently recruiting for a Section Engineer to join our UK Projects division to ensure that above and below ground level the project is undertaken in accordance with the customer’s requirements for safety, quality, level and dimension.
- Understand and interpret the drawings and specifications and provide engineering expertise and support to the project team
- Produce project documents, risk assessments and method statements for safe execution of the works
- Ensure work is executed in a safe manner meeting legal guidelines set out in health safety and requirements and environmental compliance
- Organise and supervise resources necessary to meet the contract programme
- Set a high personal example of safety and environmental behaviour
- Monitor the work under their control to ensure that any unsafe work conditions and noncompliance with company policies and procedures are promptly remedied
- Maintain good working relations with the customer, the design team and our supply chain
- Advise engineers on setting out methods and techniques
- Ensure that the drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of the works. Formally request any missing information in sufficient time to allow the programme to proceed without delay
- Ensure that works are accurately and clearly set out before work is programmed to commence, allowing time for independent checking where required
- Communicate with foremen and gangers to ensure full understanding of information provided
- Confirm in writing, on the same day, any verbal instructions received from the customer and/or design team staff and ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained
- Arrange formal checking of setting out and ensure check request form is completed
- Ensure reasonable survey book standards and daily diaries are maintained by engineers
- Ensure that inspection and test plans are completed as required by the specification, including a check of dimension accuracy and quality
- Prepare four weekly programmes in conjunction with the section foreman, coordinated with overall site programme and ensure necessary resources available with sub agent / agent
- Monitor four weekly programme, mark up progress for review at the weekly site review meeting
- Prepare written risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes/variations, subcontractors attendance, and records of work related discussions with the customer, design and/or project team
- Carry out material take off and requisitions as requested by sub agent / agent
- Ensure all delivery tickets are cost coded and passed to accounts department and/or commercial team for processing
- Ensure that testing / sampling of materials is carried out as required by the specification
- Order materials and maintain register of all orders placed and confirmed
- Carry out other relevant duties as required from time to time
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- Company car or car allowance
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will hold relevant construction qualifications and have good knowledge of specifications and resting regimes relevant to general civil engineering.
You will also have:
- Hands on approach to the commercial and planning aspects of the project
- Ability to produce and explain accurate plans and drawings
- Relevant CSCS card
- Good IT skills and able to work confidently with MS Office and other system applications
- Good project management, communication and financial management skills
- Sound knowledge of construction methods, health and safety, and legal regulations
- Excellent communication and people and team management skills demonstrating dignity and respect at all times.
- Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising on standards and quality
- Ability to develop friendly and professional customer focused relations with others
- Good management skills, with the ability to motivate employees to achieve high standards of compliance
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.