- Examine plan and specifications and prepare details of the material and labour required for the project
- Prepare bills of quantities for use by contractors when tendering for work
- Examine tenders received, advise client on the most acceptable and assist with preparation of a contract document
- Measure and values work in progress and examine any deviations from original contract
- Values and measures completed contract for authorisation of payment
- Undertake research and advise on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters
- Determine and specify construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensure that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications
- Design foundations and earthworks
- Design structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shaft
- Organise and plan projects, arrange work schedules, carry out inspection work and plan maintenance control
- Organise and establish control systems to monitor operational efficiency and costs.
Other duties include:
- Work closely with the Estimating Manager and other commercial staff to provide effective competitive estimating solutions for projects.
- First principle estimating for majority of rates within estimating, experience of building up of time related preliminary costs.
- Preparation of priced tender submissions, estimates and quotations required to meet the company strategy.
- Identify project risks and opportunities through tender period including finding mitigations and pricing options.
- Experience of working on estimates using NEC conditions of contract with various options.
- Liaise well with all members of the UK Project team to maintain vision of the company’s approach to these tendering activities.
- Work closely with the Estimating Manager to ensure consistent and effective estimating practices that are used across the company.
- Conduct all duties and responsibilities in a manner that appropriately and adequately supports an estimating team located across the country.
- Develop long term relationships with others in the team including operational staff, procurement and external supply chain and design partners.
- Work closely with the commercial team and operational staff to ensure delivery of the tender proposals through secured contracts and to facilitate an effective learning loop between tender proposals and contract delivery to inform future tender/contract arrangements.
- Communicate with Managing Estimator and Commercial Manager to continuously improve the estimating service through innovation, lessons learned and best practice knowledge supported by demonstrable evidence of such improvement.
- Relevant qualification and/or experience within the Highways, Airports and Civil Engineering sector(s).
- Ideal Degree in civil engineering or Quantity Surveying / Higher National Certificate / Diploma.
- Estimating / Commercial position with contractor or client for Highways / Airports.
- Working as an Estimator with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the role.
- Ideally experience in Highways & Airports Projects and Maintenance works.
- Familiar with NEC Conditions of Contract documents.
- Highly motivated and self-reliant individual.
- Experience of producing estimates for large projects.
- Experience of using estimating software packages (Causeway/Candy/similar) and IT literate in Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with clients and internal customers.
- Good organisational skills / ability to work to tight deadlines.
- A strong personality who can persuade and motivate others.
- Ability to work as part of a team and use own initiative.
- Problem solving & innovative thinking for tender solutions.
Closing Date: Wednesday 20th June 2018
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.