About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
The Quantity Surveyor / Estimator will effectively support a number of projects through the provision of commercial activities in the pre and post tender phases of Projects. You will take provision of accurate and timely commercial reports and advice to the bid management and senior management team whilst monitoring contracts and reporting against the appropriate commercial targets.
About the Role
You will carry out quantity surveying duties for all contract work, as directed by the commercial manager. This will include but not limited to, preparing and submitting valuations to clients, placing subcontractors and making subcontract assessments in line with the tendered strategy. Be involved in the preparation and submission of final accounts; ensuring timeous receipt of monies by efficient invoicing and collection of all debts.
- Management of budgets. Cost forecasting, management and control processes including the use of contract programmes, change and risk registers
- Understand the various uses of Bills of Quantities, Schedules of Rates, and Activity Schedules and their preparation in accordance with standard methods of measurement
- Understand the different risks associated with measurement and pricing carried out under re-measurement contracts, lump sum contracts and target cost/cost reimbursable contracts and design and construct contracts
- Supply chain procurement and management
- Administration of contracts and / or subcontracts including payment mechanisms, change procedures, and resolution of contentious issues, final accounts agreement and management
- Identification, recording, notification and negotiation of change in accordance with the contract.
- Evaluation of change through analysis of rates or compensation methods, and agreement of the effects of change
- Possess good knowledge of standard forms of contract such as NEC, FIDIC and JCT
- Able to provide advice on contractual matters and formulating contractual correspondence
- Conflict avoidance, management and dispute resolution procedures
- Appreciation of the different approaches to pricing for example quantity and time related items, method related charges and the evaluation of change.
- Issuing of main contract notices on time
- Providing quotations and rate build ups for work associated with existing Frameworks.
- Experience in the use of estimating software packages such as Causeway, Candy etc.
- Input into pricing of regional tenders
- Aid in the preparation of assessments and applications for payment
- Work closely with the Senior QS to ensure framework quotations and prices are issued on time and in accordance with contract conditions.
- Possess a knowledge of the elements present in a project budget at pre-contract phase.
- Have knowledge of the development of a cost plan or spread of a tender budget along with identification of cost drivers
- Analyse and compare contract and subcontract tenders and tender budget information
- The utilisation of labour, plant, equipment, materials and sub-contractors
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will be; a degree qualified Quantity Surveyor with in depth, demonstrable evidence of relevant civil and highway post degree experience. An excellent communicator, client focused with good commercial awareness and commitment to business success. You will possess good knowledge of standard forms of contract such as NEC, FIDIC and JCT.
You will also have:
- Flexible approach.
- Good IT skills in MS Word and Excel, with a familiarity of MS project.
- Be conscientious.
- An eye for detail.
- Full clean driving licence.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.