Preconstruction Project Manager - Birmingham/Leeds
Preconstruction Project Manager – Birmingham/Leeds
Permanent, Full Time
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Supporting our regional preconstruction function, we are recruiting for a Preconstruction Project Manager with operational input across estimating, quality proposals and bid management/tender governance. The successful candidate will have extensive delivery experience in a site/project management role, ideally in the highways/infrastructure sector. A good awareness of most commonly used forms of contract required (NEC3/4 as a minimum). Prior involvement in preconstruction/bidding activity beneficial.
About the Role
The main purpose of the role is to support the preconstruction function by providing operational guidance on methodology, output and programme to ensure pricing is competitive and sustainable. You will contribute to strategies during preconstruction period to provide commercial advantage to our tenders; And support the development of prelims book identifying/assessing project needs for supervision, site accommodation etc.
Importantly, you’ll generate innovative alternatives to proposed solutions to gain a competitive edge to our offers. You’ll support the quality proposals development through storyboarding and reviewing to help maximise scoring potential of our submissions. Act as a “subject matter expert” in quality sessions.
- Be a key player in “best practice” briefings to ensure that our bid writing teams are providing market leading approaches to service delivery.
- Develop project programmes and/or support Planners to develop project programmes to support the preconstruction process.
- Support the bid management function to prepare tender governance and briefing documentation.
- Support the bid management function to develop clear and concise tender queries where clarification is required.
- Support the bid management function by providing a functional link between commercial teams and legal teams contributing to the reduction of commercial risk.
- Deputise for the Head of Preconstruction as necessary/directed
You will be a qualified civil engineer with a demonstrable background of project management and delivery. You’ll be motivated by innovating and constantly striving to find better ways of completing civil engineering projects. You will be looking for a role that allows you to develop your career away from site based project delivery and gives you an opportunity to add value to the business by using your experience to win work and deliver projects in new, exciting ways.
- Able to deliver tasks as part of a team and recognise the preconstruction process is a team function
- A collaborative personality willing to share experience and expertise with others to benefit the team and outcomes
- Accustomed to working to deadlines and at pace
- Prepared to travel to sites and other company locations occasionally, including overnight stays
- Open to continued professional development
- Able to mentor others and assist in their professional development
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.