Plant & Transport Manager
Plant and Transport Manager – Leeds
Permanent, Full Time
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
About the Role
The role of the Plant and Transport Manager is to effectively support Colas Operations to ensure that the Colas fleet and depot operations are delivered within a safe working environment, being fully compliant with all relevant legislation and consistently promoting best practice.
The Northern region Plant and Transport Manager will be required to provide expert knowledge in the procurement and operation of mobile asphalt plants, specialist equipment, and bitumen product manufacturing facilities.
This position will be based at our Leeds depot covering the Northern region which includes, but not limited to Leeds, Newcastle, Warrington, Liverpool and Manchester.
You will also:
- Provide leadership and direction to the operational team as well as hands on people management
- Have overall financial responsibility for the performance of the branch
- Ensure good relations are maintained with all Colas Operations Teams including regular meeting and area visits
- Be responsible for the safety and welfare of all staff and operatives
- Promote and enhance safety awareness in the business deploy a zero tolerance to unsafe acts and a zero target for LTIs
- Carry out Managing safety observations and toolbox talks as designated and carrying our thorough risk assessments
- Control overtime payments as directed
- Keep a complete competency matrix in place for all staff and labour under your management as well as control of overtime
- Ensure all have the necessary training and or qualifications for the safe discharge of their duties
- Ensure that all fleet vehicle maintenance programmes and defect procedures are effectively followed
- Ensure and report that the Vehicle Defect and Driver Compliance BPIs are updated to meet monthly company deadlines
- Carry out testing and inspections of all electrical/gas/air installations on buildings and perimeters and report on waste and energy usages
- Ensure that all RA and COSHH assessments are in place and up to date
- Provide a high standard of customer service to internal and external customers
- Demonstrate effective task prioritisation and time management to successfully fulfil the P&TM role
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + bank holidays with the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will have significant previous experience working in a similar role with in-depth, demonstrable knowledge of EU/Domestic WTD regulations band Transport Operations. You will have managed a dispatch and subcontract maintenance service, maintaining all plant requirements.
You will also:
- Hold a national CPC licence
- Be able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness and commitment to excellent customer service provision
- Have a working knowledge of vehicle telematics systems i.e. Masternaut
- Show a working knowledge of using fleet management programmes
- Be a strong leader and motivator of others with the ability top performance manage employees appropriately
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.