Lead Estimator - North (Leeds)
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
We currently have an opportunity available within our North Regional Operations for a Lead Estimator. Our Regional Operation teams are leading within the highways industry providing full project management from design and concept through to construction and maintenance. We work on high profile projects within the infrastructure industry such as airfields, highways, marine and traffic management.
About the Role
The Lead Estimator will take a leading role in the Pre-construction team in the preparation of tenders with responsibility for the commercial elements of submission Responsible with the rest of the commercial team for formulating commercial strategies and solutions to support the development and implementation of the Company’s strategic objectives within strategic bidding activities. To manage the estimating resource and ensure the protection of the company’s financial and corporate interests both in the preparation of bids and in operational delivery. You will work closely with all other parts of the commercial team, Pre-Construction Manager, Directors, Legal department, Central Services and operational businesses in the preparation of tenders and works opportunities.
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will Ideally be a Chartered Member of an Institution with a recognised University or College Degree and currently working as a Managing/Senior Estimator within the Civil Engineering and/or infrastructure industry. You will have experience of successfully leading an estimating / bidding team on a number of complex sizeable contracts in the provision of transport infrastructure or civil engineering services.
You will also:
- Knowledge of the construction industry and its key processes including design
- Extensive experience in estimating related to asphalt and / or concrete paving including the build-up of mix prices from first principles.
- Completing complex tenders on time, to the required quality standards.
- Needs to have all round technical understanding of the activities for which he/she is estimating, probably gained over a number of years’ experience
- Developing and implementation of commercial strategies
- Experience of risk management within the tender stages of project development
- Experience of managing supply chain input into the tender process
- Understanding and inclusion of stakeholder requirements
- Experience of build-up of rates from first principles
- Demonstrable track record of success in the work winning environment
- Strong commitment to Health & Safety, Business Improvement, Quality and Environmental principles
- Commercial understanding of all aspects tender development
- Understanding and awareness of good customer service principles and
- Able to identify and implement effective business management processes.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.