Location: Penryn, Cornwall
Laboratory Technician – Penryn, Cornwall
Permanent, Full Time
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas’ Carnsew Quarry produces and processes granite for the production of Asphalt and bitumen based products which Colas supplies to customers in the area. We test our products on site in our Lab to ensure the highest standards of quality and safety.
About the Role
You will assist the business by performing quality control sampling and testing of asphalt and drystone production in accordance with BS EN standards and other business protocols. You will report test results in a timely fashion to ensure business continuity and customer service.
On a day to day basis, you will
- Prepare asphalt and drystone test samples
- Undertake testing to defined specifications and test procedures
- Report test results to time and budget
- Maintain accurate records for all work
- Attend site at customers’ request or as required for quality control purposes
- To understand and comply with Health & Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems
- Check and perform equipment calibrations as required
- Data entry and data manipulation
- Perform other general tasks and appropriate duties as required
Previous experience in a similar role is preferred but not essential as training will be given and an interest in mining, quarrying, science or data is an advantage.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction
- Good numeracy and analytical skills
- Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive commitment to safety.
- Adaptable and versatile.
- May be required to travel – sometimes at short notice.
- A clean driving licence is essential
- Physically fit as the role does involve manual handling
You will be computer literate with a minimum Grade C GCSE or equivalent in Maths, a Science subject and English are essential.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.