Head of Commercial - North
Head of Commercial
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
We are currently looking to recruit a Head of Commercial to work in our Northern Operations. Our contracting teams are leading within the highways industry providing full project management from design and concept through to construction and maintenance. We work on high profile projects within the infrastructure industry such as highway maintenance, marine, surfacing and traffic management.
About the Role
The Head of Commercial delivers an effective commercial function for Colas Ltd through strong leadership and management of the commercial teams, whilst ensuring compliance with company and corporate governance requirements and procedures. They work closely with the executive directors and other managers in the commercial department ensuring that robust commercial practices and procedures are fully implemented and followed in their region.
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 28 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
You will have at least 10 years commercial management experience in a senior commercial role working in the highways or related infrastructure sector. The successful candidate will have worked for a significant Civil Engineering / Construction business as a commercial manager. You will have relevant, ideally construction related, academic and professional qualifications such as MRICS, MICES, CIArb, MSc Construction Law etc.
The Head of Commercial will have the following key responsibilities:
- To liaise and develop long term relationships with Executive and associate Directors, Commercial department team members, senior managers and others as required in client, supply chain and other partner organisations.
- Support the Executive Directors in creating, developing and improving a commercial structure that meets the requirements of Colas
- Ensure that the Commercial Team is appropriately prepared to ensure that all commercial reporting is completed accurately and on time reflecting all known and reasonably anticipated events
- To ensure that commercial practices and policies are implemented and followed across the region.
- Providing input into the annual review of the corporate commercial processes, policies and guidelines to ensure that they meet the needs of the business whilst meeting corporate governance requirements.
- Support the measurement of the effectiveness of the commercial processes through a small number of specific and focused performance indicators.
- To maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards within Colas’ business sectors
- To ensure the effective management of Colas’ commercial risk is undertaken throughout the regional business operations.
- Where required, support periodic reviews of Colas joint venture interests to ensure that both corporate governance requirements are being followed and that Colas’ risk exposure is monitored and reported.
- Support the recognition, avoidance, management and resolution of disputes, have an awareness of different dispute resolution procedures and an understanding of the application of dispute resolution procedures
- Ensure that the Commercial team is appropriately prepared to ensure that all monthly commercial reporting is completed accurately and on time, reflecting known events
- Ensure appropriate expertise and resource is available within the Commercial team to meet Company and statutory Commercial reporting requirements and deadlines, through effective recruitment and development of the Commercial team including succession planning.
- Collate and report on monthly commercial reports from the various business units, including CVR’s, forecasts and reserve positions on operational contracts. Support the active management of debt and cash flow through dispute resolution and WIP reviews.
- Production of post-completion project analysis of the team’s performance
- Be aware of the alternative styles of leadership and motivation and be able to adapt your natural leadership style to meet Colas commercial and organisational challenges as well as to improve personal and team performance
- Managing people and teams and achieving performance targets
- Communicate with and relate to others constructively by building relationships based upon mutual respect across differing disciplines and perspectives
- Have a sound grasp of the principles of learning and development and the importance of the learning process.
- Identifying and targeting the needs of the commercial team and developing improvement strategies through coaching, mentoring and varying nature of work;
- Seeking and giving advice on training and development through review of CPD records and feedback through the PPA process.
- Recognising career aspirations and supporting the development of realistic plans to motivate the individual to improve and achieve their potential.
- Ensure that the Commercial team is appropriately prepared to ensure that all monthly commercial reporting is completed accurately and on time, reflecting known events.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.