Estimator / QS
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas Operations Central holds an extensive portfolio of capability and experience delivering all highways civil engineering requirements, focussed on a true “fence to fence” highways solution. Our diverse range of services include public realm improvements, junction improvements, car parks including park and ride facilities, footways, cycle ways and other infrastructure for non-motorised users, carriageway construction and surfacing, drainage improvements, signalisation, road lining & Carriageway studs and more.
About the Role
To effectively carry out quantity surveying and estimating duties for National Processes Surface Treatments. The QS/Estimator ensures that all the commercial matters of a project including procurement, risk, cost and value reporting, forecasting and contractual matters are managed effectively in line with Colas’ governance, policies and procedures. Provide support to the project team on contract requirements. You will also:
- Assess tender opportunities using risk matrix prior to application/acceptance
- Assess tender conditions upon receipt and identify any risk
- Work to tight tender return dates
- Liaise with delivery teams to assist in building up the prices
- Analyse all sub contract and supplier packages to ensure all attendances and exclusions are recognised before settlement
- Compile and issue tender queries during tender period and ensure responses are dealt with in the submission
- Liaise with the legal and insurance departments to ensure compliance to company strategy and protect from potential risk
- Provide mentoring and guidance to others in the estimating team
- Provide tender handover pack on all successful bids
- Assist Operations department with compensation events build ups
- Attend pre tender meetings
- Review unsuccessful tenders and analyse for future bids
- To ensure that all operations carried out within your area of responsibility are undertaken with full regard for the safety of visitors, other members of staff and yourself
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- NI free childcare vouchers
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will have significant experience in quantity surveying and estimating for projects within the civil engineering sector. You will also:
- Be confident in managing and supervising more junior members of staff
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to manage financial and commercial processes
- Have experience using programmes for monitoring of works, analysis and to support budget and risk management
- Demonstrate effective skills in cost planning and pre-contract cost control
- Have proven experience in project reporting such as assessment of financial performance, P&L of project trading accounts and measurement of key performance indicators and result measures
- An ability to effectively assess the effects of delay, prolongation or disruption
- Show an in depth knowledge of Bill of Quantities, Schedules of Rates and Activity Schedules
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.