Estimator - Birmingham
Estimator – Birmingham
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
About the Role
Estimators at Colas Ltd work on a diverse array of exciting civil engineering and infrastructure improvement tenders in a fast paced, ambitious and growing preconstruction team; looking to deliver success in tendering for flagship standalone projects, as well as long term frameworks for key clients. Liaising with departments across the wider Colas Ltd group Estimators establish the most commercially advantageous solution, pricing from first principles whilst taking account of opportunities and risks within the bid. Our Estimators are given the ownership of their estimates and expected to compile the estimate and preliminaries costs for presentation to the appropriate delegate, alongside contribution to any governance papers or presentation slides. Estimators are also required to perform full and comprehensive handovers of successful tenders to the operations team and undertake reviews of unsuccessful bids to carry lessons learned into the estimating process going forward.
- First principles estimating in a variety of civil engineering disciplines, in particular relating to highways infrastructure.
- Liaising with both internal and external parties to drive best value through the estimate and develop winning strategies.
- Producing accurate and compliant tenders with due account of opportunities and risks present within the tender package.
- Undertaking pricing reviews with the wider bid team to ensure competitiveness / sustainability and development of pricing strategies.
- Presenting / providing content for governance processes.
- Ensuring that a comprehensive handover is undertaken on all successful tenders.
- Aiding in the development of junior team members.
- Contributing to business development in own area of expertise.
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will have a positive and ambitious approach to winning work, with a minimum of 2 years’ first principles estimating experience. Ideally the candidate will be degree qualified and currently working as an estimator within the civil engineering and/or infrastructure industry.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience in delivery of standalone project tenders, framework tenders as well as design and build tenders.
- The ability to work autonomously or as part of a larger estimating team.
- Experience of completing multiple complex tenders on time simultaneously.
- Experience of opportunity and risk identification and quantification.
- Experience of managing supply chain input into the tender process through a procurement team.
- Demonstrable track record of success in the work winning environment.
- A demonstrable understanding of different forms of construction contract (NEC in particular).
- Working knowledge of estimating software.
- Strong understanding of differing forms of method of measurement and associated specifications.
The additional would also be beneficial:
- Working knowledge of Causeway estimating software.
- Good working knowledge of Highways Method of Measurement
- Strong understanding of NEC3 and NEC4 forms of contract.
- Practical experience within the construction industry in an Engineering or Quantity Surveying capacity.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.