Estimating Quantity Surveyor
About the Role
This is a new role due to the continuous success and expansion of Colas’ major projects offering.
Undertaking the role of Estimating Quantity Surveyor you will be responsible for the completion of discrete tenders within the UK Projects division, particularly concentrating on those supporting the development of our East African operations. This includes the management and delivery of the commercial elements of a tender including the building up estimate rates from first principles, costing and allocation of preliminary resources, producing risk and opportunity registers as well as any other necessary commercial requirements whilst preparing the tender submission.
Working for the UK Projects team you will be expected to work on a wide variety of tenders including but limited to; Civil Engineering projects, highway infrastructure works, airport projects, oil and gas infrastructure and other areas of the Colas business as and when necessary.
The initial focus of this role is to secure new works in the East African region of the UK Project operations, whilst supporting on projects in other geographical areas where required. This will extend to the wider BIMEA (Britain, Ireland, Middle East and Africa) region as works load demands and the department matures.
The post holder will have an active relationship with the Operational team particularly with the UK Projects branch offices in Kampala, Uganda and Birmingham, UK to fully focus on the most commercially advantageous solution with a balanced approach to risk. You will also be working very closely with the procurement department both at tender stage through to contract award to help select sub-contractors and material suppliers.
In addition to undertaking the role of an estimator the post holder will be required to undertake general quantity surveying tasks for both pre-contract and post award contracts. This will include competing quantity take-off’s, undertaking contract reviews, subcontract procurement and management, contract administration, valuation and change management.
Dependant on the project location there will be a requirement for the post holder to travel to East Africa and other destinations outside of the UK. Due to the nature of the post the office location for the role may change over time and there will be a requirement to work throughout the UK, Ireland and East Africa.
You will have experience working in African regions within a client facing and site capacity. You will have a keen eye for attention to detail and be able to demonstrate your ability manage the allocated UK Projects tenders, prioritise and allocate tasks based upon the company’s strategic objectives.
Profile / Experience
- Proven contracting organisation operating the UK Projects target markets and regions.
- Demonstrable experience of building estimates from first principles, taking the lead on the commercial submission on high value tenders.
- Site commercial management experience including subcontract management and cost/value reporting.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently manage teams across various geographical locations.
- The post holder is likely to have significant experience of being involved with infrastructure projects on the African continent.
- Experience of oil and gas sector development works in remote geographical locations is desirable.
- Successful track record and experience of bidding capital projects in excess of £50m is essential, with bidding for projects in excess of £150m preferable.
- Willingness and ability to travel thought the BIMEA region including various location within the UK and to remote project locations overseas, with the potential for secondments to East Africa.
- Experience of using proprietary estimating software systems is desirable.
- The management and preparation of allocated UK Projects tender submissions, estimates and quotations required to meet the company strategy. Accountable for the timely and accurate completion of the commercial deliverables within tenders.
- Lead in the development of commercial strategies and solutions to support the securing of tender opportunities in East Africa. Prepare detailed accurate labour, equipment, material and subcontract analysis and present to senior management team for review and sign off.
- Working as part of the wider UK Projects commercial team to carry out cost build-ups for tenders and to provide effective estimating solutions to successfully win contracts for UK Projects within the wider BIMEA region.
- Understand project requirements and ensure that all tender documentation is fully assessed. Provide a commercial summary report on each allocated tender to inform the senior management team of the opportunity.
- From client specification and drawings, prepare inputs to project schedules, perform quantity take offs, prepare cost summary sheets, and relevant inputs into the estimating software.
- Working closely with operational staff, planner and key supply chain partners during the tender process to fully understand the programme of works and all threats and opportunities associated with the contract. Accountable for the commercial assessment of the tender risk register.
- Assist the Project Director/Bid Manager in the completion of pre-qualification and ITT submission documents where required.
- To work closely with the UK Projects commercial team to ensure consistent and effective cost saving practices are used within bids, across the work stream.
- Assist the Commercial Manager and Procurement Manager to draft and negotiate terms, conditions and rates with suppliers, sub-contractors and supply chain partners. Provide input into supplier selection based upon previous works undertaken within the targeted regions.
- Where in joint ventures to be the commercial liaison with partners, ensuring the company’s legal interests and commercial interests are protected and maintained.
- Support the Ugandan branch manager in the implementation of procurement, performance measurement, financial and contract management systems for the business and to ensure the effective monitoring of the systems and procedures during contract delivery.
- Responsible for the reporting of commercial performance on allocated contracts and ensuring that Colas’ entitlement from clients is maximised.
- Conduct all duties and responsibilities in a manner that appropriately and adequately supports the UK Projects team. Perform well whilst working under pressure and to very tight deadlines for tender submissions.
You will also:
- Liaise with Directors and Senior Managers to identify the corporate and strategic requirements and to ensure these are incorporated into effective commercial solutions for bids
- Liaise well and work closely with the Business Manager, Estimating Manager and Commercial Manager to provide effective estimating solutions. Producing estimates for bidding opportunities from first principles.
- Manage the commercial team allocated to the selected tenders and support the UK Projects division to grow its commercial resources through recruitment and training.
- Ensure the Risk Management Process is properly used throughout the tender process and continually reviewed throughout the project lifecycle.
- Be responsible for the development and completion of all documentation required to meet Share-holder and UK Board approval for allocated bidding opportunities.
- Obtain information in support of strategic bid assumptions, working with the Commercial manager in using this information in support of commercial solutions.
- Work closely with the commercial team and operational staff to ensure delivery of the tender proposals within secured contracts and to facilitate an effective learning loop between tender proposals and contract delivery to inform future tender/contract arrangements.
- Complete timely and accurate quantity take-offs for from specifications and drawings to the agree method of measurement.
- Undertake commercial reviews of clients contract documents and draft sub-contract documents aligned to the agreed level of corporate risk appetite and governance requirements
- Undertake the role of site quantity surveyor on allocated projects within the BIMEA region. To include subcontract management, cost control, measurement and valuation of works and variations, commercial reporting and record keeping.
- Liaise and develop long term relationships with others as required in client, supply chain and other partner organisations to maximise all potential business leads. Leverage existing contacts within the UK Projects target markets.
- Liaise well with all members of the UK Projects team to maintain synergy in the company’s approach to these activities.
- Maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards within Colas’ business sectors as they relate to this appointment.
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities in a manner that supports the Company Vision and Mission and carry out all duties and responsibilities in a manner that visibly underpins the company’s values and beliefs.
- Demonstrate appropriate experience, training and qualifications for the post.
Closing date for applications: 18.10.18
Colas is an equal opportunities employer. We encourage applicants from all minority groups.
Colas UK currently works with a number of approved recruitment suppliers. We will therefore not consider CVs or speculative proposals from any other agencies. Recruitment agencies not currently approved as preferred suppliers are kindly requested not to submit speculative CVs to any part of Colas UK.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.