Commercial Manager (Birmingham)
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd is a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
About the Role
The Commercial Manager will deliver an effective commercial function for Colas Limited through strong leadership and management of the commercial team, whilst ensuring compliance with company and corporate governance requirements and procedures. Liaising with and developing long-term relationships with Head of Commercial, Associate Directors, senior managers and others as required in client, supply chain and other partner organisations.
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 25 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Flexible working
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
- NI free childcare vouchers
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful applicant will have significant commercial management experience in a senior commercial role within the highways or heavy civil engineering sector, with both pre-contract and post-contract commercial experience. You will have knowledge of the construction industry and its key processes including design and an excellent understanding of the contracting process as well as the ability to manage and develop the business both technically and commercially.
You will also:
- Liaise with and develop long-term relationships with Head of Commercial, Associate Directors, senior managers and others as required in client, supply chain and other partner organisations.
- Support Colas Limited in the implementation of procurement, performance measurement, financial and contract management systems for new businesses and to ensure the effective monitoring of the systems and procedures during contract delivery.
- Ensure that commercial practices and policies are implemented and followed.
- Provide input into the annual review of the corporate commercial processes, policies and guidelines to ensure that they meet the needs of the business whilst meeting corporate governance requirements.
- Be responsible for the operational site commercial staff within the business unit / region
- Ensure the proper preparation of commercial reports from operational sites under area of responsibility and present to Head of Commercial on a monthly basis, including CVR’s, forecasts, WIP and reserve positions
- Ensure project teams maintain accurate records of site activities undertaken and events are maintained and collated for easy reference
- Support the measurement of the effectiveness of the commercial processes through a small number of specific and focused performance indicators.
- Through the corporate commercial function, sharing of best practice and commercial approach across the business and proactive contribution to the commercial board meetings between the various commercial managers within the business.
- Maintain an up to date awareness of activities and standards within Colas’ business sectors
- Negotiate and implement contractual relationships with key suppliers and providers of professional services, ensuring that contractual liabilities are stepped down through robust agreements and appropriate contractual arrangements.
- Ensure the effective management of Colas’ commercial risk and opportunity is undertaken on each project
- Provide commercial and technical advice and support to senior managers and local commercial teams.
- Complete timely reviews of contractual relationships with key suppliers and providers of professional services, ensuring that corporate liabilities are stepped down through robust agreements and appropriate contractual arrangements.
- Provide support to strategic bidding opportunities through contract reviews and risk profile development.
- Undertake detailed commercial reviews of contract documents, identifying key obligations and risks with recommended actions for timely resolution of any business critical issues.
- Where required, produce periodic reviews of Colas joint venture interests to ensure that both corporate governance requirements are being followed and that Colas’ risk exposure is monitored and reported.
- Undertake contract/project health checks with the business unit Commercial Managers and to provide assistance and support on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure appropriate expertise and resource is available within the Commercial team to meet Company and statutory Commercial reporting requirements and deadlines, through effective recruitment and development of the Commercial team including succession planning.
- Ensure that the Commercial team is appropriately prepared to ensure that all monthly commercial reporting is completed accurately and on time, reflecting known events.
- Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
- Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.