Associate Director - Leeds
About Colas Ltd
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
We currently have an opportunity available within our Contracting division for an experienced Associate Director to safely and sustainably achieve the strategic regional growth ambitions of Colas Ltd in traditional activities, growth areas and new markets in the northern Region. The contracting Director will be primarily responsible for planning, developing, and directing all business activities within the Operations in this area.
About the Role
The Associate Director will deliver the business plan and provide leadership, guidance and direction to the businesses under their control, ensuring that all stated objectives and targets are achieved, ensuring maximum profit and return on the invested capital.
The successful candidate will also actively participate in helping to shape the strategic direction of the wider Colas Ltd (UK) business, and ensure full compliance with safety, ethics and business policies and procedures. The successful candidate will play an integral part in the delivery of the business transformation strategy across the wider Colas Ltd (UK) business.
Throughout all contracts the Associate Director will be accountable for the delivery of the service and client value, ensuring that highways activities are fully integrated and working in partnership to achieve stakeholder goals, objectives, targets and desired outcomes, leading the regional operations under his/her responsibility to continually improve and ensuring compliance Driving cost efficiency and promotion of self-delivery through promotion of the One Colas culture.
- Provide effective leadership and strategic direction to the business in conjunction with the CEO, Executive Directors, Director of Regional Operations North, the Business Units and the senior management team
- Create and communicate a clear direction, and drive change management within business units and at a corporate level
- Collaborate with regional subsidiaries of the International Colas Group in the sharing of best practice as well as the identification, development and pursuit of future opportunities
- Provide leadership, motivation and direction to all direct reports and wider group operations
- Promote and encourage safety awareness in the business, encouraging a zero tolerance to unsafe acts and a zero target for LTIs
- Build Client relationships and develop operational solutions pre-tender and during execution of works
- Demonstrate experience of finding positive solutions to complex problems. Open to others, responsive to change. Understanding and awareness of good customer service principles and practice.
- Lead by example across all functions demonstrating LEAN management whilst recognising and encouraging efficiencies across all operations.
- Entrepreneurial flare for generating opportunities with public and private clients including working with Joint Ventures.
- Timely recording and management of CRM data including client engagement and gathering of market intelligence
- Political sensitivity and a demonstrable ability to recognise, influence and manage sensitive issues.
- Provide excellent engineering knowledge and understanding throughout all interactions both internally and externally ensuring compliance with all Industry Specifications and standards, along with understanding requirements of the Works Information.
- Efficient management and utilization of all group resources through planning and effective dialogue with the operational delivery teams
- Assistance with the development and updating of regular tender and client engagement programmes for all prospective and current opportunities.
- Maintain professional approach positively reflecting the image of the company
- Ensure the safe and efficient running of all contracts to budget with overall responsibility for the financial performance of contracts
- Maintain / develop good relations with all key and potential clients incorporating regular meetings and engagement opportunities driving ECI and solution offering.
- Demonstrate actions and behaviours that are consistent with the organisation's vision, mission and core values
- Ability to lead, inspire and influence others, demonstrating personal and professional demeanour required to gain confidence and respect.
- Strategic and creative thinker with a strong, practical intellect, with the ability to effectively cascade and promote strategic achievement.
- Proposes robust solutions and builds alignment around mutually beneficial outcomes. Principle based negotiator who can resolve conflict effectively
- Provide regular point of contact for all senior management providing appropriate direction
- Ensure all personnel comply with company procedures, measuring performance as necessary
- Encourage all personnel on the understanding of the need for a flexible approach to their work and expectations to carry out other duties as deemed necessary to the business
- Undertake safety observations providing regular visibility at site level across all senior management
- Demonstrate and deploy an excellent understanding of contractual and commercial awareness
- Effective time management between site and office duties as required to effectively administer works and properly discharge your duties
- Support, encourage and development of all employees operatives within the team identifying all appropriate training needs
- Maintain compliance with agreed policy on procurement of goods and services adhering to financial authority levels
- Assist and uphold discipline within the business ensuring company compliance at all times
- Monitor Operating Reports and the Management Accounts, taking action where necessary to ensure targets are upheld with appropriate actions placed to provide effective guidance.
- Ensure compliance with the Company Financial Authorities, the contracting Manual, the Quality System, HR policies and all other Company procedures
- Prepare annual budgets and business plans with monitoring and guidance of appropriate competent teams providing successful out turn against forecast
- Effectively monitor and control debtor days, works in progress, accounts provisions, etc. accurately reporting performance and timely recover of cash due.
- Undertake all other appropriate duties as assigned by your line manager
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas are also offering some great benefits with this role, which include:
- Competitive pension contribution
- A company car allowance or a company car with a fuel card
- 28 days annual leave per annum + the option to buy or sell up to 5 days annual leave
- Opportunity to study towards a professional qualifications
- Ongoing training, and personal professional development
- Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in a similar role and have a strong understanding of Highways construction and maintenance.
You will also:
- Have experience in preparation and management of budgets
- Demonstrate and deploy excellent contractual and commercial awareness
- Have experience in providing a good understanding of operational and technical considerations in determining effective solutions to support strategic bidding opportunities.
- Understand the commercial and legal issues applicable to contracting
- Demonstrate strong Business acumen
- Knowledge of business management systems
- Strong leadership and planning / organizational qualities
- Have the ability to produce Risk assessments and accompanying Method Statements and maintain a working Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan in accordance with all CDM requirements.
- Have experience of using Microsoft Project and ability to track performance
- Understanding of industry specifications and their application
- Be results driven
- Be client focused with regular dialogue and interaction – Internal / External
- Have reasonable knowledge of the industry
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.
APPLY FOR THIS ROLE
Simply fill out the form below and one of our experts will be in touch with you.