Road Recycling Solutions
Innovative, Unique Road Recycling Solutions
Three processes designed to reduce your carbon footprint and cost
Colas are at the forefront of developing and mastering road recycling techniques and have a number of sustainable surfacing options within our portfolio.
Our expertise within the road recycling market has been long established and carried out for over 50 years.
These processes re-use existing materials, reduce waste and consequently avoid unnecessary lorry movements and landfill.
Our experts will consult with you to independently advise you on the ideal solution, depending on the current site conditions.
A process for rejuvenating and resurfacing existing surface courses on carriageways and airfields. It has the same durability as a conventional deeper surface course treatment and comes with a 5 year guarantee in line with IAN 157/11.
A cold process used on both carriageways and footways that saves energy and reduces hydrocarbon emissions, while reconstructing the surface layers faster and more economically than conventional surfacing processes.
A fast and economical cold reconstruction process for the complete road surface. This process may also be completed ex-situ and material may be mixed off site, with no waste, ensuring controlled quality and the opportunity to include other re-usable materials such as glass, china clay and crumbed rubber.
A greener road network.
Repave involves the recycling of existing asphalt road material in-situ, reducing traffic disruption, lorry movement, the demand for new aggregate and cost. It is a hot in-situ recycling process which can take place throughout the year in most weather conditions and on any class of road or airfield pavement.
- 50% Increased recycled content.
- Cost savings due to shorter construction period and reduction in the use of new materials.
- Reduced time on site means greater efficiencies with minimal traffic management requirements and reduced site presence.
- Recycling materials conserves natural resources and extends the life of the existing infrastructure.
- Reduced Green House Gas and CO2 emissions.
- Reduced energy consumption in the total construction cycle when compared to conventional road surfacing treatments.
This cold in-situ recycling process has over 35 years proven performance on UK carriageways and footways. With increasing focus on sustainable procurement, the Colas Retread process offers a low CO2 emission alternative to conventional surfacing solutions.
Solutions for Roads
The Retread solution recycles the existing material in-situ to form a durable reprofiled road rather than planing off and discarding the old material as in traditional methods. Specialist plant is used to breakdown the surface of the carriageway to a depth of 75mm.
Solutions for Footpaths
During the process specially designed equipment is used to breakdown the surface of footpaths to a depth of 75mm, new Retread binder is added and thoroughly mixed with the old material, rejuvenating and relaying it.
- By reducing the output of energy, emissions and waste, Colas are able to aid you in significantly lowering their carbon footprint.
- Over 60% savings in energy consumption.
- Over 60% savings in CO2 emissions.
- Reduced disruption due to less time on site in comparison to conventional treatments.
Deep recycling is a fast and economical cold reconstruction process which reconstructs the entire road surface or haunches to a depth of 150mm to 350mm and is mixed with new binders to form a uniform and strengthened structure.
Rather than removing the existing material, this process recycles the existing material in-situ. This rapid process has the advantage of reducing lorry movements and minimising disruption to both road users and residents.
Up to 1500m2 can be treated per day depending on site conditions.
- Up to 60% less time on site.
- In-situ recycling result in reduced lorry movements and disruption to local communities.
- Reduced energy consumption by up to 60% in the total construction cycle when compared to conventional road surfacing treatments.
- Conserves natural resources through recycling materials such as glass and china clay.
- Great efficiency and ultimately cost savings.
- Save money on treating tar - onsite solution in accordance with EU regulations without the need of costly disposal.