Our parent company, the international Colas Group is a world leader in the construction and maintenance of road, air, rail and maritime transport infrastructure, urban development projects and recreational facilities. In 2010, Colas Group turnover was €11.7 billion and net profit €224 million.
The group is located in every continent in over 40 countries and is backed by a workforce of 70,000 employees, half of whom work inFrance. The group consists of up to 800 profit centers and 1,400 production units operating in 40 countries on five continents, the Group carries out more than 100,000 projects each year.
Colas boasts major upstream industrial activities. Supported by an extended network of quarries, gravel pits, emulsion plants and asphalt mix plants, Colas manufactures aggregates, emulsions (world leader), modified binders and asphalt mixes. In addition, Colas develops know-how in safety equipment, road marking, traffic management, civil engineering, pipes and main service networks, waterproofing, building, railway works, material recycling, services and concessions. The Colas Group offers its customers a full range of contract work, equipment and services for projects involving road, rail, seaport and airport infrastructure, urban development and leisure facilities.
Roads make up 80% of the Group's activity. It includes:
- Construction and maintenance of roads, highways, airport runways, port, industrial and logistics infrastructure, bus and tramways, urban transport and recreational facilities, bicycle paths, and more.
- Manufacture and recycling of construction materials (aggregates, emulsions, binders, asphalt mixes and ready-to-use concrete) via an extensive international network of quarries and emulsion, asphalt and concrete plants; manufacture and sale of bitumen.
How we work together
To date Colas Ltd and the International Colas Group, Colas SA have worked in close dialogue and shared best practise, techniques and innovation. Examples of this include partnership arrangements for our Portsmouth PFI contract, sharing of information and techniques for airfield surfacing and maintenance, access to the resources of the Campus of Science and Techniques (CST), utilisation of our specialist surfacing treatments internationally and investment and sharing of large plant and equipment.
Through this relationship we can draw up on the expertise, research and resources of the international Colas Group and use this to compliment and further enhance our own strengths and capabilities in this field.
The Campus is an integral asset and resource facility which Colas Ltd has complete access and benefit of. The Campus acts as a hub for research and technical development and provides a service to not only Colas SA but for all the international subsidiaries.
Interesting facts about the campus
- The campus is based in Magny-les-Hameaux neart he outskirts ofParis.
- At the campus, Colas SA employs a workforce of over 80 engineers, technicians, physicists and chemists.
- The global technical network includes 2000 engineers and technicians
- Up to €70m was invested in 2010 into research and development by the campus alone.
- To date the Colas SA has developed a portfolio of 130 patents.
- The campus sends weekly updates on key technical developments and achievements to its subsidiaries